I’ve narrowed it down to just seven of the best yoga DVDs for elderly beginners over 50, and I’ve also included links to our full reviews of each of these DVDs so you can find out more about each of them.
|Gentle Yoga: 7 Beginning Yoga Practices||Best Overall|
|Rodney Yee's Complete Yoga||Budget Pick|
|Gentle Yoga||Upgrade Pick|
1. Gentle Yoga: 7 Beginning Yoga Practices
- Designed for midlife practitioners (40s-70s)
- Three sequences designed for specific times of the day and three more sequences for specific needs of mid-life
- A Morning Practice (18-minutes)
- Mid-day Relief from Desk & Computer Work (19-minutes)
- A Relaxing Evening Practice (29-minutes)
- Improving Balance (22-minutes)
- Core Strength and Flexibility (34-minutes)
- Standing Poses for leg and hip flexibility (23-minutes)
- 100 plus yoga poses
- Perfect for beginners
- Some may find it slow and boring
- Unrelaxing voice
This guide was designed to help you deal with the change in your physical abilities as you age, and it is great for teaching you how to better care for yourself. The yoga practice is gentle and involves many different poses that you will need to take care of, so the yoga instructor gives you advice about how to help your body heal.
2. Yoga Over 50 DVD
- Easy-to-use menu
- Eight customized routines ranging from 20-60-minutes
- Comprehensive wellness practice
- Great instruction for beginners
- You can easily practice in the comfort of your own home
- Not for much older people like those in their 70s
If you are an energetic individual in your 50s, you may find it a bit slow
The Yoga over 50 DVD has eight full-length sections containing eight routines followed by modifications to suit all levels and modifications. It has also been made for people who have not done yoga before and have mobility issues. There is also an option to do movements without a mat.
A certified Yoga instructor leads the exercises. They are well-explained and many times accompanied by demonstrations that help you do every pose right. The Yoga over 50 DVD is designed to keep you from getting bored. It is designed by an experienced Yoga instructor to get a healthy body and better lifestyle through this dynamic practice.
3. Gentle Yoga
- Four 20-minute, calming yoga practices
- Customizable menu
- Good for elderly
- Easy-to-follow exercises
- Background music won’t inspire you to get moving.
Yoga is a fantastic way to help improve your general fitness levels and maintain your overall health. It can help improve your mood, reduce stress, and even help you sleep better. However, yoga can be hard to learn if you’re over 50 or have mobility issues. Most yoga classes are designed for younger, more athletic people, so it can be hard to find one suitable for you.
Thanks to its simplicity and ease of use, this Gentle Yoga DVD comes in as a great beginner’s yoga DVD. It’s a 1 hour 26 minutes video that is designed for people over 50. The exercises are straightforward and easy-to-follow, and it comes with a guide to help you transition from one pose to the next. So, it’s perfect for elderly beginners over 50.
4. Rodney Yee's Complete Yoga
- Easy to follow exercises
- Yoga Basics (20-minutes)
- Yoga for Flexibility (20-minutes)
- Yoga for Energy (20-minutes)
- Yoga for Relaxation (20-minutes)
- Bonus Practice: Yoga Express (10-minutes)
- Provides a solid grounding in the basics of yoga
- Can help improve mood and relieve stress
- Not suitable for people with physical limitations
- It may not be suitable for beginners
Rodney Yee's Complete Yoga for Beginners is hailed as a classic of instructional yoga. The DVD is easy to follow and includes fantastic breathwork routines. It should help improve flexibility and balance while building strength.
It comes with a DVD produced by yoga guru Rodney Yee and other bonuses like a "just the basics" guide to all stretches for beginners.
5. Jane Fonda: AM/PM Yoga
- Three AM yoga workouts and 2 PM workouts
- BONUS 5-Minute stability and posture exercises
- Designed to make you feel rejuvenated and energized
- Two PM workouts that will help you relax, unwind, and release tension and stress
- ABS & BACK (AM) Strengthen and tighten your core to increase stability and support of your lower back
- ENERGY (AM) Increase your energy and get ready for the day with light stretches and basic yoga poses
- STRENGTH (AM) Engage your entire body with yoga and traditional weight training routines
- MOBILITY (PM) Grab a sturdy chair and get ready to release all the stress from your active day
- RELAXATION (PM) Relax and feel the tension release by gently stretching your core, shoulders, hips, back, and legs
- BONUS 5-Minute stability and posture exercises to improve your balance
- Not for people with mobility limitations
The Yoga for Beginners DVDs is the work of Jane Fonda, who with this product joins other celebrities in the world of yoga. The Yoga for Beginners DVD pack has two DVDs called “A.M. Yoga for Beginners” and “P.M. Yoga for Beginners.”
The “A.M. Yoga” video in the set is perfect for the morning since it begins with some stretching exercise and then moves into simple but effective yoga postures that are designed to warm up your body for the day. A towel, chair, yoga mat and light weights are recommended.
The point of focus is the breath since it is the most effective way of bringing you into the present moment, which is also the primary goal of yoga. The “P.M. Yoga” video also has simple but effective postures intended for those who find it challenging to perform yoga exercises in the morning.
6. Yoga for Inflexible People 3 DVD Set
- Set of 3 DVDs
- Yoga For Inflexible People has over 35 routines
- Essential Yoga for Inflexible People has ten flow yoga routines
- Gentle yoga has 12 customized routines
- 30-minutes bonus features
- Poor sound quality
- It may require some yoga experience to follow these routines
The Yoga for Inflexible People DVD set includes 3 DVDs that focus on flexibility and strength. It is designed to help you achieve all of your fitness goals. If you need help with your flexibility, it will help with that. It will also help you increase your strength. You can also use the videos in the comfort of your own home.
This DVD set features over 50 yoga workout routines, all professionally done. The instructor is very accommodating and knows how to keep your interest. He is very engaging and encourages you to make sure you are doing the poses correctly.
7. Larry Payne's Prime of Life Yoga
- Level One routines are divided into 20-minute and 40-minute programs
- Routines designed to alleviate common respiratory ailments
- Encourages balance and strength
- Exercises are demonstrated slowly and clearly
- Encourages a light, easy feeling in the poses
- Poses may be too advanced for some people
- Doesn't give alternate poses for those with certain types of injuries
The Larry Payne for the Prime of Life Yoga program is aimed at beginners and intermediate yoga practitioners. The DVD uses a voice-over that talks you through the poses. It also encourages you to practice each pose without assuming the final position. This is important for getting you into the habit of loosening up your muscles before they begin to ache.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the best Yoga DVD for seniors?
There are many yoga DVDs available in the market that claim to teach yoga to seniors. Still, according to my research, The Gentle Yoga Beginners Yoga DVD for seniors improves